Thursday, March 10, 2016


 Making a film with the main romantic interests being LGBTQ+ is something I wanted as a kid. Yet as a youngster, I didn't know things like that existed so I assumed that it was wrong. My mother thought it as wrong for children to see queer media, and I had wondered why until I started seeing it. I noticed how overtly sexual all this representation is, and it is so bothersome. It is so bothersome that I could watch every movie with Katherine Heigel in it, but that there were never any appropriate LGBTQ+ equivalents. It's not like I could watch Kissing Jessica Stein with my mom.
Kissing Jessica Stein Charles Herman-Wurmfeld, 2002 
I needed a romantic comedy that I could relate to, and that I could watch with my mom. I couldn't find one so Adri, my project partner, and I decided to make one.
Representation in the media isn't, but lately the LGBTQ+ community has been having more screen time than ever in shows like Orange Is the New Black and How to Get Away With Murder, but how is that representation affecting the community. We are represented, but how?
Queer representation is done differently depending on the kind of relationship being shown. Lesbian relationships in particular are represented in a sexual manner which is what causes the R ratings on Queer film. The sexual representation most of the time is not even realistic or for other lesbians. The sexualization of lesbians in media is aimed to attract or is directly correlated to males. Which is absurd. Not only is this presenting woman as sexual objects for a man, but it is also representing heteronormativity in the media. The hypersexualization is not suitable for the average audience, but a queer relationship is despite representation seeming otherwise.


Keeping this in mind comes the question to how I should let this information affect my film. I need to make a romantic comedy that is quirky and cute so I need to avoid the hypersexulaization of queer woman in media. I need to represent my two main characters as normal teenagers discovering something that is completely normal because that is completely normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment